Here I will write about the Top 10 American Food Dishes and will also describe those step by step so that you can easily understand & cook those at home. If you are looking for recipes, then check out our other posts. So, Let’s start with the first one.
Top 10 American Food Dishes:
I know it’s not American food, but I still wanted to show you this fantastic dish that everyone knows and loves by every American person. This is the most sold fast food around the world as well, even in my country, so I can say that burger is almost everyone’s favourite dish. The burger was really invented in the US, and it is said to come from Hamburg steak, which was a staple food on American dinner tables.
So, if you’re a newbie or want to know how to make this fantastic dish so here are the steps:
1) Prepare two buns for a burger – Cut each one into four pieces.
2) Place one beef patty into a hot pan and cook till it’s done.
3) Add cheese – Now, you can place cheese on top of your burger and put some more spices if you like to do so. I suggest adding ketchup because this will make your meal even better!
4) Prepare another bun for the burger – Cut each one into four pieces.
5) While the meat is still in a pan, you can put the second bun on top and cover it with another pan lid so that cheese will melt under it.
6) Once the burger is cooked and melted cheese is placed, take it out from the pan and place it onto your plate.
7) Place the top bun on the bottom one and serve with your choice of sauce.
That’s it for making a beautiful, delicious burger, but if you want to make this healthier, you can skip the cheese while cooking or adding some extra vegetables and herbs to it.
Pizza was invented in Italy. At first, it was created by the chef of Queen Margherita, but today you can see every country in Europe and America has its pizza type. The most popular pizzas are Hawaiian, Veggie, Mexican, Meat Lovers or simple Cheese ones. Pizza is made from yeast-based dough that is flat and topped with tomatoes, cheese, or other ingredients.
So, if you want to know how to make this so here are the steps!
1) Prepare your ingredients – If you own a pizza pan, it will be very easy since there will be no need for baking paper, but if not, it’s okay to add some baking paper on top of a sheet.
2) Take a ball from your yeast-based dough and place it into your hands.
3) Place sauce onto the pastry – Spread the sauce evenly over the whole surface of the pastry.
4) Add cheese next – I suggest adding mozzarella cheese since this one melts more efficiently and give a better taste.
5) Add other toppings as well – If you have other toppings besides cheese, now is the time to add them to your pizza.
6) Bake for a while – Put that pie into the oven and bake it until golden brown colour appears on the top side of your pizza.
7) Serve! – Once finished baking, take out from the oven and serve with some more sauce on top or eat as it is!
Thus, you can prepare very delicious pizza for you and your friends or family. If you want to make this even healthier, then ditch all of that fatty cheese and add some vegetables, but I say this is not a must.
3. MAC AND CHEESE
The following Top 10 American Food Dishes is MAC AND CHEESE. Macaroni pasta mixed in with cheese sauce or just melted cheese with or without any other spices is called mac+cheese. There are many types of mac+cheese, but I’m going to show you that invented in America.
The dish has many variations: baked, grilled, spicy, with vegetables or some meat, but I’m going to show you how to make a simple one. If you’re a newbie, then here are the steps on how to prepare this dish:
1) Prepare pasta according to package’s instruction – Boil water and cook macaroni pasta until it is soft enough for you but not overcooked. That will give an unpleasant taste, so remember 2 minutes more than average cooking time.
2) Heat butter in a large saucepan – add 1 tbsp of unsalted butter in a large pot and let it melt under medium heat. Once melted, you can pour out excess grease if there is any added into your butter while making.
3) Stir in flour – When the butter has melted, then add three tablespoons of whole wheat flour into the pot and mix well as you stir it.
4) Mix in remaining ingredients – In this step, add 1 tsp each of dry mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper, milk and 2 cups of low-fat sharp cheddar cheese shreds.
5) Stir well until mixture is smooth – Stir well until all the ingredients are mixed together smoothly. This can take about 5 minutes on medium heat but don’t forget to keep stirring.
6) Continue cooking until sauce is thickened – Once you see that your sauce has become creamy and begins to stretch like string, then remove from stovetop at once! If you continue heating it for too long, then all cheese will become burnt, and you will have to start over again.
7) Let it cool down a bit – Transfer the hot mixture into your baking dish. Then, let it cool down a little bit so that it can be safe for you to add the pasta in without getting hurt by the heat. If you put hot mac+cheese directly onto cold macaroni, all ingredients will likely stick together or cook unevenly. So just let it be cooled down for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice during this time.
8) Add macaroni on top of cheese sauce – When everything is ready, add cooked pasta on top of cheese sauce and cover with some aluminium foil. This way, your macaroni won’t burn while cooking in the oven but try not to substitute for too long or else mac and cheese won’t be hot at all when you do uncover it.
9) Bake in preheated oven – Put that into the oven and bake it on 350F (177C) for 15 minutes or until the top will become golden brown. If you want to prepare only half, divide everything into two separate bowls, add butter and flour evenly, mix well with a whisk, put half of the pasta into each bowl and continue from step 3 onwards.
10) Let cool down completely – After baking, take it out from the oven and cool down completely before serving!
4. FISH AND CHIPS
Fish and chips are another one of the most famous food items, especially in Britain, but it was invented in America (well, I guess Britain actually but anyway). It consists of skinny fried fish slices, which is most likely cod and deep-fried potatoes. Also, there is one more thing required to make this dish (besides the ingredients listed above): vinegar! All ages consumed fish and chips, so if you’re a child, you can still eat them get smaller portions or be more accessible to chew fish like salmon or whitefish.
1) Fry your fish – Heat vegetable oil on medium heat in a large frying pan and place uncoated fish slices into it when the temperature has reached 340F (170C). Cook until golden brown. If your pieces are relatively small, they will be done quicker than larger ones, so watch it and not let them get burnt.
2) Cook your chips – While fish is being cooked, cut 3-5 potatoes into about 1/4″ slices and make sure that they are nice and dry (it’s better to use paper towels to do this) because otherwise, fries will soak oil while cooking. When you’ve done this, then add them into the pan once the fat has reached the temperature of 340F (170C) as you did with fish before.
3). Serve immediately – Transfer fried fish and chips onto plates or bowls and pour some malt vinegar on top. Don’t worry if it looks unrealistically dark but still delicious indeed!
The next item from the Top 10 American Food Dishes is:
5. CRÈME BRULEE
Although Crème Brûlée is not originally American food, I decided to add it to the Top 10 American Food Dishes because of its popularity and delicious taste. It consists of vanilla flavoured custard topped with caramelized sugar, which forms a hard candy-like layer when cooked. This dessert can be served either cold or hot depending on your preference (but if you eat a hot one, you better have someone who could reheat it for you), so this dish can be prepared in advance before the party starts. You need only three ingredients to make crème brûlée: milk, heavy cream and sugar. That’s pretty much all there is to it!
1) Stir eggs into milk mixture – In a saucepan, heat together milk, sugar and vanilla bean (optional). On medium heat, constantly stirring until the mixture has reached 160F (71C), remove heat, and cool for about 20 minutes.
2) Beat egg yolks into cooled milk – While waiting, add eggs one at a time stirring well between each addition. After that, put back on hob on low-medium heat and cook further for 10 minutes until the temperature has risen to 180F(82C). Remove from the heat once again but leave custard in a hot water bath to continue cooling off. This way, it will get a smooth texture instead of coagulated lumps which might be formed otherwise while cooking.
3) Add heavy cream into the custard – While custard is being cooked, add heavy cream into it and stir well.
4) Add egg yolk mixture to the mould – Once the custard has cooled off entirely, pour into a ramekin dish or any other heat-proof container. If you want to have brown sugar topping (recommended), melt 4 tbsp of unsalted butter in the microwave, mix it with 1/3 cup granulated white sugar, and once melted, pour it onto the top of the crème brûlée. Put into broiler on high heat until caramelized layer appears, check every 20 seconds and rotate plate for even cooking. Let cool off before serving!
6. CHILI CON CARNE
Chili con carne is another one of the most famous food items known worldwide, especially in western countries, probably because it was invented by Polish immigrants living in Texas. The name means “chilli with meat”, but why should there be chilli without meat when I think about it. Just remember that if you want to prepare this dish for kids, skip any chilli or hot pepper flakes used as ingredients since otherwise, they won’t eat it!
1) Fry your ground beef – First, heat vegetable oil on medium heat in a large frying pan and cook ground beef until browned. You can also add chopped onions during this step, like in my example below.
2) Stir in your other ingredients – Add beans, kidney beans or pinto beans and stir well. Also, if you want to add some tomatoes (diced ones, as shown below), make sure that they are canned ones since fresh ones will become too watery.
3) Cook covered on low heat – After adding all of the above mentioned ingredients, cover the frying pan with a lid and cook over low heat until liquid has evaporated entirely or been absorbed by the meat. Once chilli con Carne is ready, then serve it with cornbread which can be bought at any supermarket next to flour bread! I know what you’re thinking: Cornbread is not American food, and you’re right! But cornbread was created by Native Americans in the US, and when Anglo-Americans started living there, they brought it with them since they did not know what to do with corn crops.
7. TACOS (or TAKOS)
Many people are surprised, but tacos were invented by Mexicans cooking their traditional food for centuries. The first original taco shell had nothing to do with the hard tortillas we use today because back then, Native Americans used soft sweetcorn or maize leaves which made tacos very crispy. But when European settlers came over, these dishes became more like how we eat them now and changed according to ingredients used in the recipe. Here are the steps how to prepare this dish:
1). Take out your tortillas – Heat some vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry flat tortilla shells in it until golden brown. They will be crispy after that, so don’t worry about adding any additional oil!
2). Chop up your ingredients – Chop up tomato, lettuce and onion into small pieces. You can also use shredded cheddar cheese or grated mozzarella if you want them to melt inside tacos, but I decided to keep mine cold instead since my children do not like cheese. Another essential ingredient is taco sauces, which are both mild and spicy, but usually, people only buy mild ones. If you’re using non-spicy tacos sauce, then add chopped bell pepper, onion powder and some chilli powder into it and stir well.
3). Cook your beef – You can use any ground meat you like so long as they are boneless, but if you want to make tacos for kids, cook them in a frying pan until browned or even burned! After that, chop them up into small pieces with a kitchen knife and set them aside while returning your frying pan to the stove. Add taco sauce, diced tomatoes, chopped lettuce into the frying pan, and some chilli powder and stir well until heated through.
4). Assemble your meal – Now, all you have to do is take out tortillas from the oil, add filling mixture on one side (which should be cut out beforehand), fold over other ends of the tortilla and enjoy your meal!
8. CHICKEN NUGGETS (with waffles)
Chicken nuggets are very popular in the US since they have made home meals faster and easier. I remember watching movies where parents cook chicken for their kids instead of eating fast food like nowadays, so what a difference it makes to health!
1) Prepare your chicken – Take out some boneless chicken breasts from your refrigerator and chop them into small pieces with a kitchen knife or you can also use pre-chopped “chicken tenders” as I did below if you don’t want to bother chopping up meat yourself. Marinade tail end of fried chicken chunks in eggs, breadcrumbs and any spices you like, then heat vegetable or peanut oil in a frying pan and fry your chicken nuggets until golden brown.
2) Prepare your waffles – You will need to prepare waffles before serving them with your chicken nuggets because they take time to make, especially if you use additional ingredients like berries or chocolate chips! Put some flour Waffle mix into a mixing bowl, make a hole in the centre, add eggs, butter and milk, then stir everything together until mixed.
Heat some vegetable oil in a particular waffle maker (you can usually find them at every supermarket next to electric grills!) or heat some vegetable oil in a frying pan, then pour a big spoonful of mixture on it. Cook until golden brown. Repeat the same steps with the rest of the batter and serve your chicken nuggets on top of waffles! If you want to keep everything warm, place a frying pan with the fried chicken nugget.
9. WAFFLES (with pork belly)
Waffles are the best breakfast ever invented – First of all, they’re made from delicious sweet dough Second, t Second, they as a coffee break or dessert. Still, I’m not sure. Waffles in America are versatile since they’ve been mixed up with several different ingredients like berries and chocolate chips. Still, today we will stick to the classic recipe for this foodie challenge. Here’s how you could prepare them:
1). Prepare your batter – Combine flour, sugar, eggs, and milk into a bowl to form a dough, but if you prefer, you can also use a unique waffle mix that already contains all these ingredients.
2) Heat your waffle maker – You need to heat your waffle maker before pouring batter into it; otherwise, everything will stick on the surface and not be cooked well!
3). Cook your waffles – Pour some batter into it, wait until golden brown, then carefully lift out one side of it with a spatula and let the other side cook for a little longer. Don’t forget to make additional holes on top of each one so they won’t get soggy. Set aside while making some butter or sausage sauce for topping.
4). Assemble your meal – Put some chopped bacon into the frying pan and cook until crispy, then chop it into small pieces using a kitchen knife. Prepare butter or sausage sauce by combining margarine, mustard, sugar, cornflour, and water, then stir well until smooth. Spread some of the sauce on top of each waffle followed by chopped bacon pieces, and enjoy your meal!
In America, pancakes are very popular, and restaurants tend to serve them with different types of additional ingredients like fruit syrup or chocolate chips. Still, you can always find delicious classic ones too. Pancakes are usually served for breakfast in the US, but if there are any leftovers, they’re great meals for supper as well! You’ll need some pancake mix to prepare this recipe:
1). Prepare your butter – Mix all dry ingredients into a bowl, then add eggs and milk to it until doughy consistency is formed.
2) Cook your pancakes – Heat up vegetable oil on a frying pan, pour some of the batters into the centre and once the air bubble that appeared around the edges goes away, flip the pancake over using a spatula. Wait until the other side is golden brown, then serve with your favourite additions!
3) Hey, that’s one giant pancake! – Put some batter into a bowl and swirl it around until a smooth texture is formed. Pour this mixture into the frying pan, then cook over low heat until it’s ready, which should take about a few minutes. This way, you’ll make one big pancake, enough for 4-6 portions depending on how hungry your guests are!
And this concludes my Top 10 American Food Dishes. I hope you enjoyed my list, and stay tuned for upcoming recipes and articles on this Blog.
Let me know what do you think about these dishes by leaving a comment. See you soon, bye-bye.