Dong Phuong King Cake Recipe is a traditional Vietnamese-style king cake, traditionally eaten on the early morning of Tet and during the lunar new year. The King Cake is a round sponge cake made with rice flour and filled with palm sugar.
The cake is soaked in coconut milk and then covered with crushed peanuts, chopped dried red pandan leaves, candied rose petals, and sliced almonds. Its sweet taste complements the festive ambiance of Vietnamese holidays such as Tet and Lunar New Year.
Dong Phuong King Cake Recipe is an easy-to-follow recipe that yields two 8″ cakes that can be baked as a stand-alone or part of a larger baking project. This recipe is a variation of Dong Phuong, a popular Vietnamese king cake with a slightly sweeter taste than regular American and German-style kings cakes.
Dong Phuong King Cake Recipe:
Ingredients that we need:
- 1 ¼ cups All-purpose flour.
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder.
- 1 dash of Salt.
- 1 ½ Teaspoon of white sugar
- 2 Eggs, medium size.
- 1/3 cup milk (can also use water).
- 2/3 cup water.
- Vegetable oil (for greasing the pan).
- ¼ cup White granulated sugar for coating the cake surface.
- Toasted sesame seeds for coating cake surface (optional).
- Coconut milk or other flavoring extracts to flavor the egg mixture.
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 180 C.
2) Prepare an 8″ cake pan by greasing the bottom with vegetable oil and flouring it.
3) Prepare the Dong Phuong King Cake Recipe batter by mixing the dry ingredients first and then the wet ones.
4) Beat eggs in a separate bowl (preferably an electric stand-type mixer). Add in sugar gradually while beating. Add milk, water, coconut milk, or other flavoring extracts (optional). Pour a cup of flour slowly with constant beating to prevent lumps from forming.
5) Fold the rest of the flour, baking powder, and Salt and coat evenly with the egg mixture. The batter will now be smooth and homogeneous. If possible, taste the batter to check for the balance of saltiness, sweetness, sourness, and viscosity.
6) Pour batter into the cake pan. Place in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out dry.
6) Remove from the oven immediately and let cool before slicing and serving.
Store Dong Phuong King Cake at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for 2 months.
Dong Phuong King Cake Recipe is a festive cake that can be served with tea, coffee, and milk on special occasions.
Nutritional facts about King cake:
Serving size: 1 slice of King Cake Recipe
|Calories from Fat||90|
|Total Fat||10 gm|
|Dietary Exchange||½ Starch|
10 Helpful Tips:
1) Educational Slices of King Cake may be served or cut into quarters to allow everyone to enjoy a sliver.
2) Toaster ovens are used in Vietnam to help speed up the process of cooking. Use a preheated toaster oven at 350 degrees F or 180 C and bake for 20 minutes.
3) If you want Dong Phuong King Cake Recipe to be sweeter, use half a cup more sugar (or more if desired).
4) Dong Phuong King Cake Recipe is very easy to make and can be used as an ingredient for various cakes, cups, and other baked goods.
5) This is one of the easiest and simplest cake recipes.
6) Dong Phuong King Cake Recipe can be easily frozen.
7) You can flavor Dong Phuong King Cake Recipe with extracts such as vanilla extract, orange blossom water, almond extract, etc., to give it a lighter flavor.
8) If you want Vietnamese cakes, you should serve Dong Phuong King Cake Recipe with traditional Vietnamese drinks like Cha Ca La Vong (Cha with fish), fresh green tea, and fresh coconut juice.
9) Try this recipe for Tet or Lunar New Year.
10) A warm Dong Phuong King Cake Recipe is best enjoyed while still hot.
How can we store Dong Phuong King Cake Recipe?
We can store Dong Phuong King Cake Recipe in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. We can also freeze it for up to 2 months.
How do we defrost Dong Phuong King Cake Recipe?
For the first 24 hours, let it sit on the counter and thaw naturally. After that, you can put it in the refrigerator overnight to speed up the thawing process.
How do we reheat Dong Phuong King Cake Recipe?
To reheat Dong Phuong King Cake Recipe, wrap it in a paper towel and place it in a bowl of hot water for 10-15 minutes. Or you can microwave it on 70% power with a loosely wrapped paper towel for 3-4 minutes. Then wrap tightly in aluminum foil to trap moisture and reheat for another 5-7 minutes until warm all the way through.
What is the origin of the Dong Phuong King Cake Recipe?
King cake was originally a French cake. It is believed that the cake can be traced its origins to the early 19th century when French missionaries brought it to Vietnam.
The entire process of making Dong Phuong King Cake Recipe is a fun way to celebrate Tet or Lunar New Year. It is worth making this cake because it can be given as presents to loved ones.
Try this recipe and share your feedback and tips in the comment box below. If you love this recipe, don’t forget to share it! For more interesting recipes, please visit my blog.
Thank you for visiting my blog and supporting me.